Translate

Monday 13 February 2023

Script Snippets: "A Great Question"

INT. A BREAK-OUT AREA IN AN OFFICE – DAY

A man, Liam, sits in a chair, looking frustrated and holding a phone. His colleague, Henry, enters. 

HENRY: Hi Liam.

LIAM: Oh, hi Henry, you wouldn’t believe what just happened to me. I asked this guy a question, and his response was "that’s a great question." But he never explained why it was such a great question!

HENRY: Yeah, I know what you mean. It’s like they’re trying to make you feel good, but then just leave you hanging.

LIAM: Exactly! I need to know why it was such a great question. What makes a question "great"? Is there a secret grading system I don’t know about?

HENRY: That’s a great question. Well, I’ve been doing some research on the subject, and I think I’ve figured it out.

LIAM: Really? Tell me everything.

HENRY: (under his breath) 4 out of 10. (full voice again) Okay, so here’s how it works.

Henry furiously scribbles on a whiteboard.

HENRY: Now listen. A question can be rated on a scale of one to ten, based on its originality, complexity, and relevance. So, for example, if you ask a question that’s never been asked before, you score in the 99th percentile and are awarded 10 out of 10 for originality. The dream is to score 10 out of 10 in all factors and achieve the acclaim and adulation of asking the greatest question that can possibly be asked.

LIAM: (in awe) Wow! I would love to – one day, if I work very hard – be able to devise the greatest question that can possibly be asked. Is anything awarded for effort?

HENRY: A satisfactory question. Yes. If you really try your best, you get a pat on the head, and just a little bit of a condescending smile.

Henry pats Liam on the head and condescendingly smiles.

HENRY: Well done.

LIAM: Thanks.

HENRY: The strength of the head pat is determined by how hard you tried to find the question before venturing to ask it. If you put in an awful lot of work, you get a ten out of ten for effort and a vigorous head pat.

Henry pats Liam on the head vigorously.

LIAM: Oh, thanks! (excitedly) So if I ask a question that’s never been asked before, is complex, relevant, AND I put in a lot of effort, I’ll achieve maybe the greatest question of all time?

HENRY: A good question. That’s right.

LIAM: (looking at his phone) Wait a minute, I just got a new message. It says… (reading) "That’s a FANTASTIC question. 10 out of 10. Thanks for all the effort. You couldn’t have tried harder. Perfect." (excitedly) I did it! I asked the perfect question!

HENRY: Congratulations! You’ve officially asked maybe the greatest question of all time.

Henry pats Liam on the head vigorously.

LIAM: I can’t wait to tell everyone. But first, I need to ask you one more thing.

HENRY: Sure, go ahead.

LIAM: Why can’t all questions be "great"?

HENRY: Hmm, well, that’s a fairly poor question. But I’ll give a six out of ten for effort.

LIAM: Oh, sorry. I must try harder.

HENRY: Yes, you must. And it will give me more time to think of something I can say to make me look ever so well-informed and clever.

LIAM: So, anyway, what are you up to this evening?

HENRY: (looks disgusted) Liam, that’s only worth a 1 out of 10. You should be ashamed of yourself.

LIAM: (ashamed) Sorry.

No comments:

Post a Comment