Translate

Sunday 12 February 2023

Script Snippets: “I’m Fine”

INT. CAFETERIA – DAY

Two co-workers, Janet and Lucy, are having lunch.

JANET: (smiling) Hey Lucy, how are you today?

LUCY: (smiling back) I’m fine.

JANET: (sceptical) Just fine?

LUCY: (quickly) Yeah, fine.

JANET: Are you sure?

LUCY: (defensively) Yes, I’m fine. Really.

JANET: Really, really sure?

LUCY: (starting to get cross) Yes. I’m fine.

JANET: (smiling) Okay, if you say so.

LUCY: And how are you?

JANET: (tuts in disgust) You really want to know?

LUCY: Eh, okay.

JANET: Shut up! Shut up, okay! You would not even begin to comprehend what it is like to be me! My life is filled with one suffering after another. I’m tortured by the past; miserable in the present; and anxious about the future. I look into the meaningless void of my existence and only emptiness and grief looks back. But I don’t want to say one more word about any of this to YOU, so I DEMAND, yes DEMAND, you change the subject, NOW! If you ever, ever ask me this question again, I will give you the exact same response – and all the utter contempt your stupid question demands … Oh, sorry. I meant "I’m fine". 

LUCY: Yeah, it’s easier just to say, "I’m fine". 

They continue eating as normal.

No comments:

Post a Comment