Translate

Sunday 9 July 2023

Harder Times

I bid thee learn, children of tender age,

Facts solely be your guide on learning's stage.

Dismiss ye tales spun out of whimsy's loom,

Cast off soft notions; let the stern facts bloom.

 

Young miss, I call on thee, define a horse,

And let thy answer have its proper course.

Oh, sir, I... I...

Thou hesitate, dear child,

Is it that fact and fancy are reviled?

Speak up, I say, and answer as you ought.

 

Now, boy, I ask thee, tell me in short,

What is a horse? Speak true, distort thou not.

A horse, sir, is a beast that doth mankind aid,

In labour, travel, and many a trade.

Ah! True and fit, a fact without pretence,

This is the spirit of our learning's sense.

 

In this hard world of smoke and toil and grime,

Where facts are sacred, fancy is a crime,

Thus starts our tale, as you've rightly seen,

In Coketown, midst the clamour of the machine.




No comments:

Post a Comment