- ALBOD: The Eel in the Loo
I sat on the throne at a quarter past
two,
With nothing much pressing and nothing to do.
The bathroom was peaceful, the household asleep,
When something went SPLASH from the porcelain deep.
I froze.
Then I peered.
Then I whispered, “Good grief…”
For up through the U-bend, like some
slippery thief,
A long, shiny gentleman, wriggly and black,
Popped out of the water and stared calmly back.
An eel.
In my toilet.
He twisted. He bobbed. He appeared
quite at ease,
While I stood by the sink with my trousers round my knees.
“Excuse me,” I said, “but this
lavatory’s taken.”
The eel merely blinked. He was wholly unshaken.
Then round went his tail with a confident swish,
As if I were the nuisance and he owned the dish.
I tried flushing once.
He vanished below…
The bathroom was silent.
The toilet was still.
No eel in the bowl.
Just a terrible chill.
I cautiously sat, thinking, Surely he’s
gone…
Then something beneath me went:
“Evening, John.”
No comments:
Post a Comment